The greatly anticipated launching phase of TLD .paris is ongoing since September the 9thand will end on November the 11th at 1pm (UTC). The activation of the names and general availability will occur starting from December the 2nd at 1pm (UTC).
The launch of .paris will proceed during a period of 63 days for which five categories of applications will be accepted, following the present order of priority:
- category 1 : rights holders of TMCH-registered trademarks ;
- category 2 : public authorities from the Greater Parisian ;
- category 3 : rights holders of local French trademarks or geographical indication holders ;
- category 4 : other rights holders ;
- category 5 : landrush period.
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria of eligibility established by the .paris:
- Residing in the Parisian region ;
- To pursue professional, personal, commercial or cultural activities in the Greater area of Paris ;
- Justify of any other affiliation be it direct or indirect with the Greater area of Paris.
The applicants under all five categories will be simultaneously accepted and allocated at the end of the Launch Phase by order of priority of each category.
Category 1 : trademarks registered in the TMCH and protected in France
The Sunrise period is open for trademarks validated by the TMCH system. Local Trademark holders, international trade marks registered in France or community trademarks that are validated by the said system will have priority over non-local trademarks.
In the assumption of multiple eligible applications for the same domain name, the following criteria of attribution will be applied:
- The application corresponding to a local trademark (operating in France) will have priority over non-local trademarks.
- For trademarks sharing the same category, the oldest registered trademark will succeed.
- If two trademarks from the same category were registered on the same day, the attribution will be resolved by auction.
Category 2 : public authorities from the Parisian region
This category allows public authorities from the Parisian region to reserve three types of names:
- Their own names, including any variation or alias generally used to describe them;
- The names of public services they are responsible for ;
- Geographical names that can be related to any location of the Parisian region, its monuments, symbols, noticeable places or any locally-relevant or iconic name for which they are the relevant authority. This condition is also applied to variations and abbreviations of such names.
This category is still awaiting a validation from Icann.
Category 3 : trademarks protected in France not validated in the TMCH
Are entitled to this category:
- Local trademark holders that are not validated in the TMCH, which includes French trademarks, community trademarks and international trademarks registered in France ;
- geographical indications recognized by International treaties, EU regulations or French legislation.
In the assumption of multiple eligible applications for the same domain name, the applicant holding the oldest trademark registration will succeed.
Category 4 : legal entities established in the Parisian Region
Are entitled to this category:
- corporate names, trade names including clear variations and/or abbreviations with a legal seat or place of business in the Greater area of Paris ;
- non-for-profit legal entities with a legal seat or place of business in the Greater area of Paris.
In the assumption of multiple applications for the same domain name in this category, attribution will be resolved by auction.
Category 5 : landrush period
This period enables all eligible applicants to apply for one or multiple domain names with the .paris extension that were not claimed by category members from 1 to 4. In the assumption of multiple applications for the same domain name in this category, attribution will be resolved by an auction.
It is advisable to make applications as soon as possible given the unusual nature of the Sunrise. Take this opportunity to register your personal domain name under the new .paris extension. Dreyfus can assist you in the reservation of domain names and in strategies regarding the new gTLDs.